Leonid Sologub (1884-1956) was a Russian painter. He was born in Yeysk, Krasnodar Krai. The artist studied at the Moscow Art School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture.
And since 1902 – at the architecture department of the Saint Petersburg School of Art under L. Benois. He received the title of artist and architect and a grant for overseas travel (1910). He performed a number of competitive architectural projects that were awarded with various prizes and then were embodied. The artist was on friendly terms with M. Larionov. In 1912-1913 he took part in the exhibitions The World of Art (where he was a member of society since 1918) in Moscow and Saint Petersburg. In 1912 on the basis of his own studio he founded the Society of painters, architects and sculptors called The Workshop of Three Arts that later became a part of the Union of Art Workers and was officially registered in 1917. When World War I began, he volunteered for front and was awarded with the Cross of St. George. He published his front sketches in the journal Niva (The Field). In 1916 he exhibited his sketches and paintings In the War in the halls of School of Art. Since 1919 he went on travels around China, Japan (where he had his own exhibition in Tokio), Ceylon, India, Greece, Italy, visited Constantinople. In 1922 he moved to Holland and settled down in Hague, exhibited the views of Constantinople in Autumn Salon and had a personal exhibition in the gallery R. Duncan in Paris. In 1930 he participated in the Great Exhibition of Russian Art in Belgrade, in the Exhibition of Russian Art in the gallery La Renaissance in Paris in 1932. He was actively engaged in painting in Hague, performed his personal exhibitions. He also exhibited in the Society of Independent Artists (1928-1930). More than 350 of his works of art can be found in the State Museum of Visual Arts.
Oil on canvas; 38 х 45 cm
|Fog in the mountains, 1928-1930
Oil on canvas; 99 х 114 cm